It’s official! The Athens Drive Marching Band will be traveling to Tampa Florida to participate and perform in the New Year’s Day 2018 Outback Bowl! Next year is simply a "special year" for our marching band... like the season that we performed in the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade. It is an HONOR to be part of a national event like the Outback Bowl, so we are going to get a head start on everything!
This trip will be fantastic and you’ll want to be part of it! The trip includes a day at Busch Gardens, parade, field show competition, and mass band event for the Outback Bowl Half Time. We’re exploring other adventures, including a day at Disney! Here’s what you need to know now:
SAVE THE DATES: Thursday December 28, 2017 – Tuesday, January 2, 2018. Although the trip plans have not yet been finalized, we will likely leave late at night on Thursday December 28 and travel by bus overnight. We will depart Tampa immediately following the Outback Bowl game on January 1, traveling by bus overnight, to arrive early morning for school on Tuesday, January 2.
MARCHING BAND: This will be a trip for ALL 2017-18 MARCHING BAND participants, including color guard and percussion. You must participate in marching band to attend. Every marching band student is essential to the success of a trip like this so we’ll work together to figure out how to make sure every participating student has the opportunity to attend - financial assistance will be available for students who demonstrate need!
COST: We are working to finalize a price and payment schedule for the trip and we’ll let you know as soon as possible. So that you can start to prepare, we anticipate that trip costs will range from $800-$900 and will include most expenses - typically students are responsible for one meal a day and any souvenirs. Trip payments will likely start in April or May at the latest, and conclude before mid-October.
PLAN AHEAD: There are many spring and summer opportunities to earn money for your band account so that you are prepared for trip and marching band expenses. Combine your efforts with multiple fundraisers and watch your band account grow quickly! Check out the website for more details as well as more fundraising opportunities.
- Grocery cards, Scrip, and Car Wash tickets are always available! By spending money you would already spend, you could easily accumulate at least $20/month!
- PNC still has spots available through April making customers happy by serving Dippin’ Dots or ice cream. The PNC is convenient, fun, easy and good pay! If you see a spot occupied by John or Karen Chiavacci, email email@example.com to let them know you would like to work - they will work with you to find a spot or enjoy a night off! Work just 2 events and earn a quick and easy $50!
- PARCC - Be sure to sign up to be trained for the PARCC so that you can work at the Performing Arts and Raleigh Convention Center downtown for $8/hour (convenient, easy and great pay!) There are many opportunities to work at these venues and we aren’t even close to utilizing this venue to its full potential! Pay varies by event length; work just 2-3 events and easily earn $60-$100! For more details, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NCFC (formerly Railhawks) – Parents and students can work together to earn $20/shift at the soccer park (convenient, easy, fun, and students can work!) If two parents and a student work only 2 events, your family will make a quick $120 for your band account!
- Sponsorships – Get a local business to sponsor the band and earn 25% of the sponsor amount for your band account! Look on the website to learn more details about how it works.
MORE DETAILS: We’ll need chaperones to attend the trip, too - look for sign ups sometime later in the summer! In addition, there will be options for family members to participate in the trip. Price, payment schedules, and more trip details like family options and chaperone sign-ups will all be announced at a later date.
TRIP PLANNING: With a trip of this size and scope, there are many details to coordinate. We’d love to have your help! We need an overall trip coordinator as well as committee members to help with details such as coordinating buses, equipment logistics, organizing meals, planning for uniforms, exploring parent hotel options, scheduling, interfacing with Outback Bowl planner, etc. If you’re interested in helping the band by serving on the Outback Bowl Committee, please email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how you’d like to help. Working together to plan a trip like this is sure to be incredibly rewarding and super fun so don’t be afraid to jump in and help make this wonderful trip a reality for our students and families!!!
It’s going to be a terrific year and an amazing trip! Adventure Awaits!!! Be sure you’re part of it!