posted Sep 16, 2012, 6:10 PM by Kimberly Lowe
updated Sep 20, 2012, 1:44 PM
Dear marching band member and parent,
Please read over the following letter carefully, as there is much NEW information contained within!
The purpose of this letter is to provide you with information concerning the Football Game this Friday and the George Washington H.S. Competition in Danville, VA this Saturday.
HOME FOOTBALL GAME (ATHENS VS. HOLLY SPRINGS)
Friday, Sept. 21, 2012
- 6:10pm Report to ADHS band room
- 6:40pm INSPECTION (senior parking lot)
- 7:10pm March to stadium
- 7:30pm Game begins
- 8:45pm Halftime Performance
- 10:15pm Dismissal (at flagpole near band room)
Students will be wearing their full uniform
for this game. They may wear any type of shirt underneath the jacket
; however, they must wear a shirt! As we will be wearing the black uniform tee under our uniform the next day at the Danville Competition, I would suggest not wearing the black tee for this Friday's home football performance. Woodwinds and brass will need their flip folders and lyres; all students should bring a small amount of money for drinks/snacks following their performance.
FULL MARCHING REHEARSAL FROM 3-4:30PM THIS FRIDAY (9/21)
In an effort to make certain that all components of our show work well for this weekend—particularly with regard to the props, I am asking for an additional rehearsal this Friday from 3:00-4:30pm. I realize that this is an Early Release Day, which has its pros and cons. The kids will get an opportunity to leave campus to get lunch and rest up for the afternoon rehearsal and evening performance; however, transportation can be an issue for some. I am asking that you “dig-deep” and see if you can make this extra rehearsal work. With threatening weather forecast for Tuesday, we might lose all or part of outside work on this day—which makes this additional rehearsal crucial. [On the plus side, there will be NO REHEARSAL next Wednesday 9-26-12 as the students do not have school on this day.
]GEORGE WASHINGTON H.S. COMPETITION (aka “Dixie Classic”)
Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012
- 11:00am Report to Athens
- 11:15am Rehearsal in Stadium
- 1:15pm Return to bandroom; eat lunch; change into partial uniform; load equipment; prepare for departure
- 2:45pm Inspection
- 3:15pm Depart for GWHS (via charter bus)
- 5:00pm Arrive GWHS, orientation and warm-up
- bring/eat light dinner snack (on own)
- 7:00pm PERFORMANCE
- 8:30pm Awards Ceremony
- 9:30pm Change, receive meal for ride home
- complements of band boosters
- 10:30pm Depart GWHS
- 12:15am Arrive Athens Drive
Important Competition Day Logistics
- Students must remain on campus between our rehearsal and inspection; there will not be enough time for students to safely leave campus.
- The students will be wearing their uniform pants and shoes, black socks, and black tee shirt for the bus ride up to Danville. By wearing the pants, we do not have to rely on the changing facilities before we compete. [Changing facilities often operate on strict schedules which can cause warm-ups, etc. to be rushed…] If possible, students are encouraged to wear a light-type of shorts under the uniform so they may change out of the uniform on the charter busses. Changing facilities will be available, however, at the conclusion of the competition.
- Bring something healthy to eat and drink for dinner. Choose your dinner food wisely; a light, nutritious meal is best.
- Remember to bring a comfortable change of clothes for the bus ride home (your choice).
- Our boosters will provide a meal for the students’ ride back to Raleigh.
- The arrival time (12:15am) is our best guess. We are usually accurate (within the ½ hour); however, due to the multitude of variables that surround events such as this and the number of students involved, adjustments may have to be made. The safety/well-being of the students is our primary concern. Many of our students and chaperones have cell phones. If we run ahead or behind schedule more than ½ hour, we will encourage students to call. Please let them know how they can best reach you.
- We enthusiastically invite all parents, family, and friends to travel to Danville to enjoy our performance and route on our band! YOUR PRESENCE MAKES A DIFFERENCE! The trip is reasonable with respect to time—about 1.5 hr—and scenic! The stadium is high allowing the audience to really enjoy the choreography.
- If you are planning to attend the competition and would like to drive your child home, please submit a written request. In general, I like to keep the students together throughout the entire event; however, I will trust your judgment if you feel it absolutely necessary for your child to be home earlier.
We use competition as a tool to achieve further excellence. It is vital to remember that “deep-down,” we compete against ourselves, not against others. This is one of the most challenging aspects of our program; however, it can be one of the most rewarding provided that we maintain a healthy perspective. The students will always be winners if they work hard, do their best, and behave with “honor, pride, and dignity.”
Thank you for all that you have done to make this season so wonderful. Hope to see you up in Danville routing for our band!Directions to GWHS:
Take 40W to highway 86 north straight to the Virginia border. This is South Main Street once you arrive in Danville. Follow South Main Street passing through three (3) stoplights. At the fourth light turn left onto Broad Street. This is the campus of G.W.
The GWHS Competition begins at 2:00pm; our “class” begins at 6:30pm and extends through 8:00pm followed by awards. A full schedule is available from the band office.
Continued thanks for all that you do!!!