posted Mar 8, 2011, 2:13 PM by Elaine Ray
updated Jan 17, 2013, 9:26 PM by Kimberly Lowe
Athens Drive Band Boosters
February 3, 2011
The meeting began at 7:35 pm
Welcome/Greeting from Chris Bellopatrick
Band Captain/Guard Captain Report
- Brandon Ellis, Band Captain reported that the 1st winter percussion competition is Feb 19th at Cary HS. Mentioned that 25 students were chosen for the All district honor band and 9 students auditioned successfully into the UNCG Honor Band. Brandon also mentioned that Dr Wes Parker is taking the jazz band to the next level.
- Teri Frasca, Guard Captain reported that the Winterguard show is titled “Your Turn” and its first competition is at West Johnston HS on Feb 12. The Winterguard is doing well.
- The minutes from the last meeting were accepted by John Bryant; seconded by Mike Hardy.
- John Bryant reported that some accounts are over budget but are offset by accounts that are under budget. One concern is the spring BBQ, if it doesn’t happen there will be a hit to the budget.
- Board nominations are being submitted; there are also many committee chair positions available.
- ADAF – Alan Keith reported on an online service that rates non-profits; he is soliciting favorable reviews of the Arts Foundation. The website address was distributed to the parents at the meeting. The annual ADAF Mothers Day Event will be held on May 14th, and most likely will be at the school again for this year. ADAF may participate in Cary’s Lazy Days this spring.
- Smug Mug – Kim Lowe reported that there are now SmugMug galleries for Winter percussion and Winterguard pictures. Still need photos of Winterguard and Jazz band for this year.
- RBC – Chris Bellopatrick reported for Elizabeth Taylor. There are still openings available for signup.
- CD/DVDs – Mike Hardy showed a DVD of the varsity Winter percussion performance.
- Grocery Cards - Heidi Johnson has grocery cards for Food Lion and Lowes. Give her a call if you need cards.
- Scrip – Nancy Crowley reported that scrip cards have arrived.
- Let’s Eat – Chris reported for Angela. Next Let’s Eat will be at Noodles and Company in March.
- Hand bells are needed for a wind ensemble piece.
- CD/DVDs of the Holiday Concert are still available.
- District Honor Band – 25 students from Athens Dr attended the most from any high school. 11 are eligible for All State.
- State Festival – Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band will go this year. Will take place at Heritage High School. WE will play Monday, Mar 21st around 8 or 8:30 pm. SB will play on Tuesday, Mar 22nd mid or late afternoon.
- Concert Band is doing great - they are learning fundamentals quickly.
- Jazz, Winterguard and Winter percussion are going well.
- For the school musical, Cats, some band students will be playing.
- ADHS is turning into an arts school; it is a well kept secret.
- Next Wednesday, Feb 9th, Appalachian State Wind Ensemble will be here from 10:30 to 11:30 am. Some chaperones are needed.
- Open House next Thursday, Feb 10th.
- Rising Freshman Open House, Feb 24th, Jazz band will be performing.
- Cannon Music Camp during the summer, if your student is interested, let Dr. Markoch know.
- Spring Trip – planning stages, looking at Atlanta or Washington DC over Memorial Day weekend. Need as many students as possible to go. Disney trip will be spring 2012; the band will march down Main St and perform a concert.
- Thanked the parents for all that they do. The students are busy and happy; have an exceptional program at ADHS.
Alan Keith reported for the Jag Club, there will be a public meeting, Wednesday, Feb 23rd at 7 pm at the Method Rd Community Center to discuss the stadium proposal developed by the Jag Club.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:30 pm.