posted May 1, 2014, 8:00 PM by Kimberly Lowe
updated May 1, 2014, 8:00 PM
Booster Meeting Minutes
April 10, 2014 Meeting began at 7:35pm
Attendance: 21 President
Welcome. Introduced Terri Kirkpatrick from EF High School Exchange Year Program. Trying to find host family for student from Spain for upcoming school year. Student plays saxophone and would like to participate in band program. Aleece will send out information to band’s yahoo group. Host family opportunities also available for other exchange students. Secretary
Minutes from March 6th meeting reviewed. Motion to accept by Tabitha Groelle. Seconded by JoMarie Holstshouser. Treasurer
Band accounts statements have been sent out. If you have a balance due, it is due now. A “How To” guide for donating to another family’s band account will be sent out to yahoo group. Graduating seniors can donate any left over account funds to a remaining student or to the scholarship fund. Winterguard
On March 29th participated in AIA Championships. Came in 6th in class. April 7th exhibition at Athens Drive HS was last performance. Thanks to everyone for coming out. Great season. Looking forward to next year. Winter Percussion
Last local performance was April 7th exhibition at Athens. Currently in Dayton competing in WGI Worlds. This year’s show was complex with complex props and acrobatics. ADAF
Successful Alumni Drive. Sending out thank you cards and letters.
Band’s Sponsor Program going strong with 27 sponsors. Now is time to start working on 14-15 School Year Sponsors. New sponsors obtained before June 30 will be added immediately resulting in a couple of “free” sponsor months. President
- Carnegie Hall Recap – Slide show of trip. Had a fabulous time. Performance was exceptional. Stern Hall is absolutely beautiful. Students were in awe and Dr. Markoch definitely in his element.
- Busch Gardens Spring Trip – May 23-24. Students to perform right inside of gate. Doing best to make cost reasonable. Watch for email containing details. Fun Video from 2009 trip available on “Photos & More” page of band website.
- Western Wake Music Fest – April 27th at Koka Booth 4-8pm. Athens Drive’s Jazz Ensemble, Wind Ensemble, Orchestra and possibly Chorus performing along with Jazz Ensembles from Panther Creek, Green Hope and Cary High. To become collaborative annual event consisting of bands from Western Wake high schools. Hope to eventually expand to full day. Free admission with donations accepted. Invite friends, family & neighbors, bring picnic, no alcohol, will have food for purchase. Trying to get WRAL and N&O to do story. Doc to send info to teachers, Athens Alert! and get Dr. Hedrick to announce.
- Rose Bowl Update – Application Committee putting together BRAG Book about band, school, area, Raleigh, famous Athens athletes for May submission. Applying for 2016. Anyone wanting to help come to meeting at Village Draft House, Monday, April 14 at 12:30pm.
Ways and Means
- Band Booster Board Slate for 2014-15 – Slate of officers presented for vote and approved with one opposition vote.
- Co-Presidents: Mary Knierim & Wendy Bennett
- Co-Vice Presidents: Jim Merchant (Operations) & Frank Castlebury (Ways & Means)
- Co-Treasurers: Jean Burroughs & Joe Baker
- Secretary: Kim Lowe
- Members at Large: JoMarie Holtshouser, Jami Summers, Melanie Vtipil & John Wakeford
- NCSU Lemonade Stands – Spring football game this Saturday. Still need workers. Pay for event raised to $37 per shift.
- PNC – Events winding down. Tonight is last home game. Have 13 more events, through July, we have volunteered to work if requested. Have already met our contract requirements. Will receive bonus in August for meeting requirements. Approximately $10,700 earnings this year with approximately $8500 of that going to student accounts.
- Durham Bulls – Day game today had $4000 in sales. Event slots are not getting filled. Cancelled our commitment for Wednesday’s game due to lack of workers. Please sign up. We have committed to fully staff our stand for all games.
- Car Wash – April 16th. Still need volunteers. Tickets and/or money due Monday. Can get more tickets. Can buy tickets at Car Wash during the event.
- Let’s Eat! – April 14th – Village Draft House. Percentage of all sales all day donated to ADAF for Athens Drive Band Program. Come out for lunch or dinner. No flyer required.
- Fundraiser Shift Credits – Fundraiser shift credits for 2014-15 increased from $25 to $30 per shift.
- Volunteer Slots
- Fundraisers are having problems filling slots. Suggested sending out survey as to why we are having difficulty filling. Pay has been increased and recently declined addition of a Red Hat fundraising opportunity. Discussion followed.
- Suggestion to improve education process. Will include fundraising section of Dr. Markoch’s letter in middle school info and let incoming freshmen know they can start working now. Dr. Markoch to visit Dillard Middle. Select band booster parents to visit other middle schools.
- Jean Burroughs reported 1/3 of band families pay fundraiser shift credit (now $180) instead of working. 2/3 of band families work the 6 credits.
- Make a personal effort to mentor and personally invite folks to sign up and work with you. Make “Let’s go to the Bulls” an exciting event.
- Carpools available for Bulls as needed.
- Recommended Bulls events for May be added now to allow folks time to plan.
- Marching Band Orientation – May 12th & 13th. Need a couple of folks to give testimonials. Booster account to fund refreshment purchases.
- May Concerts – Concert Band & Jazz Ensemble on May 15th. Wind Ensemble & Symphonic Band on May 22nd. Will need folks to donate refreshments. Signup online.
- Likes the way the volunteer slot discussion evolved: Leadership, Serve & Be Positive. Don’t dwell on negative and punishment.
- We’ve had an incredible year. Reflected that one month ago today we were getting the news about Buzz. Remember to always “Give Thanks. Treasure and Grow.”
- Marching Band has been formally accepted in the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Day Parade. Bands from all over the country applied. Only 16 accepted. Organizers were impressed with our performing at Carnegie Hall and with our website. Would like to take everybody, go to Amish Country, enjoy a big Thanksgiving meal and shop Philly. Hoping this trip will help increase Marching Band participants for upcoming year.
- Applying for Wind Ensemble to perform at NC Music Educator’s Conference in early November. Have done performed at convention twice in last 8 years.
- Rose Bowl chances 50/50. If don’t get in this time, will try and try again.
- Carnegie trip dedication to Buzz was handled amazingly.
- Great to see cross-pollination of instrumentalists with Winter Percussion and Winter Guard.
- Guest quintet came in to play for Wind Ensemble & Concert Band. They were impressed with our students.
- Busy time of year. Finishing up this year and starting over for next year. Next year’s Marching Band show is “Are We Alone?”. Should be a lot of fun.
- Drum Major auditions and Section Leader interviews coming up. Goal is to find best way to fit. Looking for mature, complimentary, positive leaders.
- End of year concerts coming up in May.
- Western Wake Music Fest end of April. Wind Ensemble will be performing last.
- Couple of our students playing in orchestra for spring musical, “Footloose”.
- Busch Gardens will be fun.
- Will know about Rose Bowl early September. If accepted, have 15 months to raise funds. Last time Broughton attended, fee was $1700 per student.
- Priorities for any extra money available to the band: 1st Priority is Education (instructors); 2nd Priority is Music/Choreography; 3rd Priority is Instruments and 4th Priority is fun stuff like trips.
- Thanks for coming out tonight.
New stadium plans are moving along nicely. Have approvals. Definitely happening. Breaking ground January 2015. Held required community meeting. No active opposition. Meeting ended at 9:10pm
Next meeting Thursday, May 1st at 7:30pm, ADHS Bandroom