posted Oct 5, 2013, 5:00 PM by Kimberly Lowe
updated Oct 5, 2013, 5:04 PM
Band Booster Meeting Minutes
Meeting started at 7:30pm
Attendance: 58 members
Secretary: Previous minutes shared and approved. Hope Ligon
motioned, David Scarborough seconded.
- Financials looking good but watching carefully. Had
large surplus coming in to 2012-13 that we do not have this year.
- Please pre-pay for spirit wear, scrip cards and
- Please keep a close eye on your account and payment
- Color Guard:
Guard show coming along good. Thanks
to boosters for funding additional guard instructors this year. Flags and show
uniforms are in.
- Band Captain: Marching show looking good. Thanks to boosters for
everything they do to support the students.
- Band Camp
Surprise Party: Huge success. Dr.
Parker provided and directed alumni band.
- Slideshow of
band at first Football Game
Section: Student section being
created for football games. May displace some parents who sit to the right of
the band near press box.
- Band Room
Doors: Doors coming into band room
from hallway are broken and cannot be locked. Request submitted to school in
May. Secure valuables in locked practice room until further notice.
Directory: Marching Band Student
Directory available online. Password given. Parent Directory almost ready.
- Coupon Books:
Fewer books sold this year but made
$1000 more than last year due to CitiPass price increase. 521 books sold. $5280
into student accounts; $2257 into general fund. Those earning free CitiPass
books, see Kimmie after meeting to get your book(s).
- Bulls: Last home game was yesterday (9/11); Through July 25th,
$3100 added to general fund. Final estimate for season is $5000-$5500 for
general fund; $23,000 to student accounts.
- PTSA: Please join. Dues are $10 for parents, $5 for students.
Accepts tax deductible donations. Provides two $500 scholarships to senior
class PTSA members. Last year’s band captain, Nathan Wintermute, was one of the
2012-13 recipients. Website is www.athensdriveptsa.com and can join PTSA and
pay online. Would like 100% faculty participation.
- BBQ: Flyers distributed. BBQ is Oct. 25th
10am-7pm at Swift Creek Community Center. Conflicts with State Fair Parking. Will
deliver to businesses within 8-10 mile radius. Business orders due 10/22. Need baked goods packaged in generous $1 portions.
Can leave baked goods in band room on Thursday (10/24) or bring to community
center Friday (10/25) morning. Business forms and flyers available on website.
Online volunteer signups available this weekend.
- Chaperones: Going well. Thanks to all volunteers. Most pressing
need is for percussion chaperones.
- Kroger Cards: Payout from Kroger at $5000. Currently posting to
student accounts every two months.
Lemonade Stands: Eight home games;
four on competition days. All games online and available for volunteer signups.
First two games had record sales: $2400 total ($1100 to student account; $1300
to general fund). Meet at school’s
main entrance for carpool. Required
to be in stadium 3 hours before event.
- PNC: We’re only working carts this year. No stands. Carts
are Dippin Dots and scooped ice cream. No BARS training required. Contract
signed. Have all Hurricane games and NCSU Basketball games and right of first
refusal for special events. Signups online for events through December. Need
experienced worker for September 27th to train chairperson.
Volunteers need to wear the current (blue) band polo when working PNC. PNC
requires all shirts to match exactly.
- Pit Crew: To help, email firstname.lastname@example.org or just
show up outside band room at 5:45-6pm on football Fridays and offer to help.
- Scrip Cards:
Sales going great. Pre-payment
required. Prefer presto-accounts. On September 16th Script Now to
run specials for those with presto-accounts.
- Spirit Wear:
New items this year. Terri Mellon
making show earrings for $5. Three dollars of sale donated back to band.
Program has been updated. New program
packet now available online. Online form submission and payment coming soon.
Booster soliciting sponsorship responsible for obtaining all necessary
information prior to submission to sponsorship committee. Once completed form
and payment received, 25% credited to booster’s account. Sponsorship plaque
posted in band room.
- State Fair
Parking: October 17-27. Signups already online. Weekday workers
monitor lots for Gregory Poole employees. Nighttime workers park cars and
collect parking fee. Eleven days at fifteen hours/day broken into 3 five hour
shifts. Last year band made $23,000 and put $6000 into band accounts.
Desperately need workers for Saturday, Oct. 26 due to marching band competition
at Sanderson HS.
- Twitter: Follow @athensdriveband.com or text “40404 follow
- Facebook: Like “Athens Drive Band Alumni, Friends & Members”
- Yahoo Group:
Sorry for duplicate emails. Yahoo
recently upgraded to new format and is experiencing multiple issues. Duplicate
or non-delivered emails are the issues. Working with Yahoo to get issues
resolved. Please check band website’s announcement area to ensure you stay
- Description of Carnegie Hall package provided.
Soliciting ideas for additional places to visit and eat that can accommodate
large groups. Email email@example.com
- Non-refundable $200 deposit due October 8th.
- Wind Ensemble performs but all band students invited
- Dates are March 22 or 23 through March 26 with
performance at Carnegie Hall on March 24.
- More info available late September; including cost
- Wind Ensemble students asked to provide a list of
things they would like to do/see in NYC.
- Two charter buses. Extra seats will be available to
band families for “transportation only” purchase.
- Cost for non-playing students (those not in Wind
Ensemble) will be $100 less.
New Fundraising Ideas
- Raffle around Christmas: solicit area businesses for raffle
Campaign headed by Alumni Chairs Greg
& Kathy Fishel and Kay Jamison
Sale: ADHS Gym, Saturday, November 9th. Company representative, Clint Stovall, explained program. 1-10 people will buy a mattress
this year. Highest brand mattresses and guarantee. All sizes. Over $2 million
for high schools last year. Brings in own sales staff, provides flyers, cleans
up after event and delivers mattresses to homes. Band provides location (ADHS
gym) and publicizes. Student incentives. No cost to band. Easy fundraiser. Cary
and Broughton Bands have participated. Clint will place flyers in band room for
distribution and if we get permission will deliver flyers with letter from Doc
to area schools. Like “Athens Drive Band First Mattress Sale” on facebook. Will make digital flyer available
for our website. Sale 50 mattresses and he will sign up as a band sponsor.
- Most band students participate in Marching Band. Only
10% are in class band only.
- Working on show, show music, pep tunes; will perform
entire show without metronome at tomorrow’s football game.
- Four football games (including soccer game) in a row.
- All day Saturday rehearsal coming up September 21st
- Competition September 28th at Mt. Pleasant
and Central Carbarus. ADHS performs at 3:15pm at Mt. Pleasant and 8:00pm at
- Composite pictures coming up early October. New
photographer with better pricing.
- Class Bands going great. All Wind Ensemble students
will go to NYC. Other band students invited to go as well.
- Plans for overnight Busch Gardens trip Memorial Day
Weekend. More affordable trip. All band students invited. Band performs in the
morning and enjoys the park in the afternoon.
- Carnagie Hall trip gives us an opportunity to prove we
can raise money. Test driving our ability to fundraise for large trips. Must
have proven track record if we are to get accepted to Rose Bowl Parade.
- Open House, Tuesday the 17th. Dismissing
winds from practice at 4:30pm that day.
- Would like $500 for sousaphone holders. Cost $90 each.
Eliminates carrying cases down to the field for games.
- Susan Cowles presented Athens Drive Stadium
- ADHS Stadium project to get funds left over from 2006
Bond so unlikely we will get anything from the upcoming bond. Although, if
upcoming bond does not pass, we could potentially lose the promised 2006 funds
to classroom seats. Please go out and vote for the bond on Oct. 8th.
- New track for Williams Stadium planned for 2014.
- When provided funding comes through, Williams Stadium will
be abandoned and new stadium will be built on athletic practice field near
senior lot. Unlike Williams Stadium, that land belongs to WCPSS. New stadium
completion expected fall 2015.
- Widening Stadium Drive and adding additional parking
spots. To be completed 2014.
- Band practice field was preserved.
Meeting ended at 9:30pm